Honey-Crunch Ice Cream
Drizzle with a little caramel sauce for an even tastier treat.
Honey-Crunch Ice Cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Grape-Nuts cereal
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 14-ounce can nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- To make honey crunch: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a small baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix honey, butter, milk, brown sugar and vanilla in a small bowl until blended. With a fork, stir in Grape-Nuts until well coated. Spread in a thin layer in the prepared baking pan. Bake, stirring once or twice, for 5 minutes, or until the cereal has darkened and bubbling has subsided. Spread on a plate and let cool completely. Break up any large clumps and set aside.
- To make ice cream: Mix milk, condensed milk and vanilla in a large bowl until blended. Refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Stir lemon juice and salt into the chilled ice cream mixture. Freeze in an ice-cream maker, following the manufacturer's directions. Halfway through freezing, when ice cream begins to thicken, sprinkle in the honey crunch and continue freezing. If necessary, let the ice cream harden in the freezer for 30 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store the honey crunch (Steps 1-2) in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Store the ice cream (Steps 3-4) in a resealable plastic container in the freezer for up to 4 days.
- Use Grape-Nuts to add low-fat crunch to other dessert recipes and toppings.
Per serving: 268 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 219 mg sodium; 737 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less