Honey-Crunch Ice Cream
Drizzle with a little caramel sauce for an even tastier treat.
Honey-Crunch Ice Cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Grape-Nuts cereal
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 14-ounce can nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- To make honey crunch: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a small baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix honey, butter, milk, brown sugar and vanilla in a small bowl until blended. With a fork, stir in Grape-Nuts until well coated. Spread in a thin layer in the prepared baking pan. Bake, stirring once or twice, for 5 minutes, or until the cereal has darkened and bubbling has subsided. Spread on a plate and let cool completely. Break up any large clumps and set aside.
- To make ice cream: Mix milk, condensed milk and vanilla in a large bowl until blended. Refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Stir lemon juice and salt into the chilled ice cream mixture. Freeze in an ice-cream maker, following the manufacturer's directions. Halfway through freezing, when ice cream begins to thicken, sprinkle in the honey crunch and continue freezing. If necessary, let the ice cream harden in the freezer for 30 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store the honey crunch (Steps 1-2) in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Store the ice cream (Steps 3-4) in a resealable plastic container in the freezer for up to 4 days.
- Use Grape-Nuts to add low-fat crunch to other dessert recipes and toppings.
Per serving: 268 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 219 mg sodium; 737 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less