Homemade Chicken Broth
Nothing soothes, nourishes and comforts like homemade chicken broth. Canned broth is a handy standby for quick soups, but homemade delivers maximum flavor while contributing minimal calories.
- 1 3-pound chicken, (or use parts, such as wings and backs)
- 4 stalks celery, (with leaves), trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley, washed
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 4 quarts cold water
- Combine chicken, celery, carrots, onion, garlic, parsley, thyme, salt and water in a large stockpot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, until the chicken is falling apart, about 2 hours. Skim the foam from the surface as it builds up.
- Strain the broth through a large sieve or colander into a large bowl. Use a wooden spoon to press on the solids to extract as much of the broth as possible. Divide the broth among several shallow containers so it will cool quickly. Cover loosely and refrigerate overnight. Use a spoon to remove the fat that congeals on the surface.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 0 mg potassium.
Nutrition Note: After straining and skimming, broth has negligible calories and nutrients except sodium (240 mg per cup for the chicken, 120 mg per cup for the vegetable).
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient