From EatingWell: April 1998
Bring back eggs Benedict with our lightened-up Hollandaise sauce. Here we thicken buttermilk with cornstarch; a touch of butter and fresh lemon creates a pleasant, tangy sauce that has only 1 gram of fat per tablespoon. It's great drizzled over steamed vegetables.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup nonfat buttermilk, (see Tip), divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns golden, 30 to 60 seconds. Pour into a small bowl and set aside.
- Whisk 1/4 cup buttermilk, cornstarch, salt and cayenne in a heavy medium saucepan until smooth. Whisk in egg along with the remaining 1/2 cup buttermilk.
- Set the pan over medium-low heat and cook the sauce, whisking constantly, until it comes to a simmer. Cook, whisking, for 15 seconds. Remove from heat and whisk in lemon juice and the reserved butter. Serve hot or warm. Classic Variations To make Sauce Moutarde, add 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard. For Sauce Maltaise, use 1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice in place of the lemon juice.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat in a microwave on High for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, stirring once.
- Tip: No buttermilk? You can use buttermilk powder prepared according to package directions. Or make “sour milk”: mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk.
Per tablespoon: 17 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 87 mg sodium; 6 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- 8 or more
- April 1998
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less