Hoisin-Sesame Salad with Baked Tofu
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
This Asian-inspired salad is made satisfying with savory baked tofu; carrots and snap peas add crunch. Try this salad for a take-along lunch. To keep the salad greens from getting soggy, pack the greens, salad toppings and dressing in separate containers and toss them together just before eating.
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce (see Notes)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (see Notes)
- 1 scallion, minced
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 3/4 cup cubed baked tofu (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup carrot matchsticks or slices
- 1/2 cup sliced snap peas
- Place canola oil, vinegar, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, sesame seeds and scallion in a bowl or a jar with a tight-fitting lid; whisk or shake until well combined.
- Place greens in an individual salad bowl; toss with 2 tablespoons of the dressing. (Refrigerate the remaining dressing.) Top the greens with tofu, carrots and snap peas.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate leftover dressing for up to 5 days.
- Notes: Hoisin sauce is a dark brown, thick, spicy-sweet sauce made from soybeans and a complex mix of spices. Look for it in the Asian section of your supermarket and in Asian markets.
- Sesame seeds can be purchased already toasted. Look for them near other Asian ingredients. Or toast your own in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 336 calories; 21 g fat (2 g sat, 9 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 8 g fiber; 383 mg sodium; 836 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (305% daily value), Vitamin C (100% dv), Folate (57% dv), Iron (26% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Calcium (24% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2011