Hoisin-Sesame Salad with Baked Tofu
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
This Asian-inspired salad is made satisfying with savory baked tofu; carrots and snap peas add crunch. Try this salad for a take-along lunch. To keep the salad greens from getting soggy, pack the greens, salad toppings and dressing in separate containers and toss them together just before eating.
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce (see Notes)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (see Notes)
- 1 scallion, minced
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 3/4 cup cubed baked tofu (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup carrot matchsticks or slices
- 1/2 cup sliced snap peas
- Place canola oil, vinegar, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, sesame seeds and scallion in a bowl or a jar with a tight-fitting lid; whisk or shake until well combined.
- Place greens in an individual salad bowl; toss with 2 tablespoons of the dressing. (Refrigerate the remaining dressing.) Top the greens with tofu, carrots and snap peas.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate leftover dressing for up to 5 days.
- Notes: Hoisin sauce is a dark brown, thick, spicy-sweet sauce made from soybeans and a complex mix of spices. Look for it in the Asian section of your supermarket and in Asian markets.
- Sesame seeds can be purchased already toasted. Look for them near other Asian ingredients. Or toast your own in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 336 calories; 21 g fat (2 g sat, 9 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 8 g fiber; 383 mg sodium; 836 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (305% daily value), Vitamin C (100% dv), Folate (57% dv), Iron (26% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Calcium (24% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2011