Hoisin-Sesame Salad with Baked Tofu
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
This Asian-inspired salad is made satisfying with savory baked tofu; carrots and snap peas add crunch. Try this salad for a take-along lunch. To keep the salad greens from getting soggy, pack the greens, salad toppings and dressing in separate containers and toss them together just before eating.
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce (see Notes)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (see Notes)
- 1 scallion, minced
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 3/4 cup cubed baked tofu (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup carrot matchsticks or slices
- 1/2 cup sliced snap peas
- Place canola oil, vinegar, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, sesame seeds and scallion in a bowl or a jar with a tight-fitting lid; whisk or shake until well combined.
- Place greens in an individual salad bowl; toss with 2 tablespoons of the dressing. (Refrigerate the remaining dressing.) Top the greens with tofu, carrots and snap peas.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate leftover dressing for up to 5 days.
- Notes: Hoisin sauce is a dark brown, thick, spicy-sweet sauce made from soybeans and a complex mix of spices. Look for it in the Asian section of your supermarket and in Asian markets.
- Sesame seeds can be purchased already toasted. Look for them near other Asian ingredients. Or toast your own in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 336 calories; 21 g fat (2 g sat, 9 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 8 g fiber; 383 mg sodium; 836 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (305% daily value), Vitamin C (100% dv), Folate (57% dv), Iron (26% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Calcium (24% dv), Magnesium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2011