Hiser's Haute Oatmeal
From EatingWell: September/October 1996
Add some oomph to your morning bowl of oatmeal with some wheat bran and dried cranberries. A touch of brown sugar ensures it doesn't taste too healthy.
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, or currants
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup unprocessed wheat bran
- Sliced fresh plums, pears, apples or bananas for garnish
- Combine milk, cranberries (or currants), brown sugar, salt and water; heat until almost boiling. Stir in oats and bran and cook, stirring constantly, until the oatmeal starts to thicken, about 1 minute. Cover the pan and remove from the heat. Let stand until the oatmeal is creamy and has absorbed most of the liquid. Divide between 2 bowls, garnish with fruit and serve.
Per serving: 304 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 69 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 8 g fiber; 146 mg sodium; 348 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (23% daily value), Calcium (19% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 nonfat milk
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- September/October 1996