Hiser's Haute Oatmeal
From EatingWell: September/October 1996
Add some oomph to your morning bowl of oatmeal with some wheat bran and dried cranberries. A touch of brown sugar ensures it doesn't taste too healthy.
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, or currants
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup unprocessed wheat bran
- Sliced fresh plums, pears, apples or bananas for garnish
- Combine milk, cranberries (or currants), brown sugar, salt and water; heat until almost boiling. Stir in oats and bran and cook, stirring constantly, until the oatmeal starts to thicken, about 1 minute. Cover the pan and remove from the heat. Let stand until the oatmeal is creamy and has absorbed most of the liquid. Divide between 2 bowls, garnish with fruit and serve.
Per serving: 304 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 69 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 8 g fiber; 146 mg sodium; 348 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (23% daily value), Calcium (19% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 nonfat milk
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- September/October 1996