Hiser's Haute Oatmeal
From EatingWell: September/October 1996
Add some oomph to your morning bowl of oatmeal with some wheat bran and dried cranberries. A touch of brown sugar ensures it doesn't taste too healthy.
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, or currants
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup unprocessed wheat bran
- Sliced fresh plums, pears, apples or bananas for garnish
- Combine milk, cranberries (or currants), brown sugar, salt and water; heat until almost boiling. Stir in oats and bran and cook, stirring constantly, until the oatmeal starts to thicken, about 1 minute. Cover the pan and remove from the heat. Let stand until the oatmeal is creamy and has absorbed most of the liquid. Divide between 2 bowls, garnish with fruit and serve.
Per serving: 304 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 69 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 8 g fiber; 146 mg sodium; 348 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (23% daily value), Calcium (19% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 nonfat milk
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- September/October 1996
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)