Hiser's Haute Oatmeal
From EatingWell: September/October 1996
Add some oomph to your morning bowl of oatmeal with some wheat bran and dried cranberries. A touch of brown sugar ensures it doesn't taste too healthy.
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, or currants
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup unprocessed wheat bran
- Sliced fresh plums, pears, apples or bananas for garnish
- Combine milk, cranberries (or currants), brown sugar, salt and water; heat until almost boiling. Stir in oats and bran and cook, stirring constantly, until the oatmeal starts to thicken, about 1 minute. Cover the pan and remove from the heat. Let stand until the oatmeal is creamy and has absorbed most of the liquid. Divide between 2 bowls, garnish with fruit and serve.
Per serving: 304 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 69 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 8 g fiber; 146 mg sodium; 348 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (23% daily value), Calcium (19% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 nonfat milk
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- September/October 1996