Hickory Nut Cookies
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
Shelling hickory nuts is a labor of love—they are one of the hardest nuts to crack. You may substitute pecans, which are members of the hickory family. These helix-shaped cookies are easy to form; if you prefer round cookies, drop the batter by heaping teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheet.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped hickory nuts, (1 ounce)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat 3 baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray. (Or use 1 baking sheet and wash and respray between batches.)
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add nuts and stir until the butter is lightly browned, about 1 minute. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Stir in granulated and brown sugars. Add egg whites, flour and vanilla; whisk until combined.
- Working with one baking sheet at a time, spoon a heaping teaspoon of batter to make a line about 8 inches long and 3/4 inch wide. Repeat to make 8 lines on the sheet, spacing them about 1 inch apart. Bake until the cookies are well-browned on the edges, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Working quickly using a metal spatula, remove a cookie and wrap it around a 3/4-inch-thick wooden dowel or fat wooden spoon handle. Once the cookie stiffens, slide it off and repeat with the next cookie. If the unshaped cookies begin to harden and stick to the pan, return the baking sheet to the oven for about 30 seconds to soften them. Bake and shape the remaining batter in the same manner.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 42 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 13 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1995