Hickory Nut Cookies
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
Shelling hickory nuts is a labor of love—they are one of the hardest nuts to crack. You may substitute pecans, which are members of the hickory family. These helix-shaped cookies are easy to form; if you prefer round cookies, drop the batter by heaping teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheet.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped hickory nuts, (1 ounce)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat 3 baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray. (Or use 1 baking sheet and wash and respray between batches.)
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add nuts and stir until the butter is lightly browned, about 1 minute. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Stir in granulated and brown sugars. Add egg whites, flour and vanilla; whisk until combined.
- Working with one baking sheet at a time, spoon a heaping teaspoon of batter to make a line about 8 inches long and 3/4 inch wide. Repeat to make 8 lines on the sheet, spacing them about 1 inch apart. Bake until the cookies are well-browned on the edges, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Working quickly using a metal spatula, remove a cookie and wrap it around a 3/4-inch-thick wooden dowel or fat wooden spoon handle. Once the cookie stiffens, slide it off and repeat with the next cookie. If the unshaped cookies begin to harden and stick to the pan, return the baking sheet to the oven for about 30 seconds to soften them. Bake and shape the remaining batter in the same manner.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 42 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 13 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1995