Hickory Nut Cookies
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
Shelling hickory nuts is a labor of love—they are one of the hardest nuts to crack. You may substitute pecans, which are members of the hickory family. These helix-shaped cookies are easy to form; if you prefer round cookies, drop the batter by heaping teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheet.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped hickory nuts, (1 ounce)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat 3 baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray. (Or use 1 baking sheet and wash and respray between batches.)
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add nuts and stir until the butter is lightly browned, about 1 minute. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Stir in granulated and brown sugars. Add egg whites, flour and vanilla; whisk until combined.
- Working with one baking sheet at a time, spoon a heaping teaspoon of batter to make a line about 8 inches long and 3/4 inch wide. Repeat to make 8 lines on the sheet, spacing them about 1 inch apart. Bake until the cookies are well-browned on the edges, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Working quickly using a metal spatula, remove a cookie and wrap it around a 3/4-inch-thick wooden dowel or fat wooden spoon handle. Once the cookie stiffens, slide it off and repeat with the next cookie. If the unshaped cookies begin to harden and stick to the pan, return the baking sheet to the oven for about 30 seconds to soften them. Bake and shape the remaining batter in the same manner.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 42 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 13 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1995