Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Ingredient note)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and cloves in a small bowl. Beat brown sugar, molasses, oil, apple butter and eggs in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in raisins. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan; smooth the top.
- Bake the hermits until the top feels "set" when lightly pressed in the center, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Whole-wheat pastry flour is milled from soft wheat. It contains less gluten than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure a tender result in delicate baked goods while providing the nutritional benefits of whole grains. Available in large supermarkets and in natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
Per bar: 151 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 102 mg sodium; 238 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique