Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Ingredient note)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and cloves in a small bowl. Beat brown sugar, molasses, oil, apple butter and eggs in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in raisins. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan; smooth the top.
- Bake the hermits until the top feels "set" when lightly pressed in the center, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Whole-wheat pastry flour is milled from soft wheat. It contains less gluten than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure a tender result in delicate baked goods while providing the nutritional benefits of whole grains. Available in large supermarkets and in natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
Per bar: 151 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 102 mg sodium; 238 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique