Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Ingredient note)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and cloves in a small bowl. Beat brown sugar, molasses, oil, apple butter and eggs in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in raisins. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan; smooth the top.
- Bake the hermits until the top feels "set" when lightly pressed in the center, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Whole-wheat pastry flour is milled from soft wheat. It contains less gluten than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure a tender result in delicate baked goods while providing the nutritional benefits of whole grains. Available in large supermarkets and in natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
Per bar: 151 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 102 mg sodium; 238 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique