Herbed White Bean Puree
A velvety puree of white beans makes a fiber-rich alternative to mashed potatoes. Serve with lamb chops or steak.
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 2 15-1/2-ounce or 19-ounce cans cannellini beans, (white kidney beans), rinsed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh sage, or 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Fill a large saucepan with cold water, add garlic and bring to a boil over high heat. Add beans and return to a boil. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid, then drain the beans and garlic in a strainer or colander.
- Transfer the beans and garlic to a food processor. Add parsley, oil and sage. Process, adding some of the reserved cooking liquid if necessary, to make a thick puree. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 285 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 9 g fiber; 603 mg sodium; 20 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (40% daily value), Folate (35% dv), Calcium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 21/2 starch, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less