Herbed White Bean Puree
A velvety puree of white beans makes a fiber-rich alternative to mashed potatoes. Serve with lamb chops or steak.
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 2 15-1/2-ounce or 19-ounce cans cannellini beans, (white kidney beans), rinsed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh sage, or 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Fill a large saucepan with cold water, add garlic and bring to a boil over high heat. Add beans and return to a boil. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid, then drain the beans and garlic in a strainer or colander.
- Transfer the beans and garlic to a food processor. Add parsley, oil and sage. Process, adding some of the reserved cooking liquid if necessary, to make a thick puree. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 285 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 9 g fiber; 603 mg sodium; 20 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (40% daily value), Folate (35% dv), Calcium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 21/2 starch, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less