Herbed Scallop Kebabs
Grilled under a watchful eye to avoid overcooking, these skewers are a snap to prepare. A light lemon-and-herb marinade allows the sweet, succulent flavor of the scallops to shine. Be sure to purchase sea scallops, which are a good size for kebabs.
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 1/4 pounds sea scallops, trimmed
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Place a fine-mesh nonstick grill topper on grill to heat.
- Whisk lemon juice, thyme, oil, lemon zest, pepper and salt in a small bowl.
- Toss scallops with 2 tablespoons of the lemon mixture; reserve the remaining mixture for basting the kebabs. Thread the scallops and the lemon wedges onto four 10-inch-long skewers (see Tip), placing 6 to 7 scallops and 2 lemon wedges on each skewer.
- Lightly oil the grill rack (see Tip). Cook the kebabs, turning from time to time and basting with the reserved lemon mixture, until the scallops are opaque in the center, 8 to 12 minutes. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 20 to 30 minutes first to prevent them from scorching.
- To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.
Per serving: 152 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 374 mg sodium; 478 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (44% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv).
Exchanges: 31/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique