Herbed Scallop Kebabs
Grilled under a watchful eye to avoid overcooking, these skewers are a snap to prepare. A light lemon-and-herb marinade allows the sweet, succulent flavor of the scallops to shine. Be sure to purchase sea scallops, which are a good size for kebabs.
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 1/4 pounds sea scallops, trimmed
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Place a fine-mesh nonstick grill topper on grill to heat.
- Whisk lemon juice, thyme, oil, lemon zest, pepper and salt in a small bowl.
- Toss scallops with 2 tablespoons of the lemon mixture; reserve the remaining mixture for basting the kebabs. Thread the scallops and the lemon wedges onto four 10-inch-long skewers (see Tip), placing 6 to 7 scallops and 2 lemon wedges on each skewer.
- Lightly oil the grill rack (see Tip). Cook the kebabs, turning from time to time and basting with the reserved lemon mixture, until the scallops are opaque in the center, 8 to 12 minutes. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 20 to 30 minutes first to prevent them from scorching.
- To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.
Per serving: 152 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 374 mg sodium; 478 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (44% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv).
Exchanges: 31/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique