Herbed Corn & Edamame Succotash
Fresh green soybeans, called edamame or sweet beans, are a great addition to this classic American dish, where they stand in for the traditional lima beans. The succotash is wonderful as it is or topped with grilled shrimp, salmon or chicken.
- 1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh shelled edamame (see Ingredient Note)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine or water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook edamame in a large saucepan of lightly salted water until tender, about 4 minutes or according to package directions. Drain well.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables start to soften, about 2 minutes. Stir in corn, wine (or water) and the edamame; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in vinegar, parsley, basil, salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Ingredient Note: Edamame are easy to digest and are exceptionally high in protein (1/2 cup has 16 grams). There are several kinds available today—frozen and fresh, in the pod and shelled—in large supermarkets, natural-foods stores or Asian markets.
Per serving: 111 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 205 mg sodium; 331 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (47% daily value), Folate (30% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique