Herbed Corn & Edamame Succotash
Fresh green soybeans, called edamame or sweet beans, are a great addition to this classic American dish, where they stand in for the traditional lima beans. The succotash is wonderful as it is or topped with grilled shrimp, salmon or chicken.
- 1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh shelled edamame (see Ingredient Note)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine or water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook edamame in a large saucepan of lightly salted water until tender, about 4 minutes or according to package directions. Drain well.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables start to soften, about 2 minutes. Stir in corn, wine (or water) and the edamame; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in vinegar, parsley, basil, salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Ingredient Note: Edamame are easy to digest and are exceptionally high in protein (1/2 cup has 16 grams). There are several kinds available today—frozen and fresh, in the pod and shelled—in large supermarkets, natural-foods stores or Asian markets.
Per serving: 111 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 205 mg sodium; 331 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (47% daily value), Folate (30% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique