Fresh chiles and lime juice give this herb-almond pesto a pleasant kick. Serve with baked tortilla chips or use to top burgers or fish.
- 2 cups lightly packed fresh cilantro, or parsley
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted (see Tip)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine cilantro (or parsley), almonds, jalapeño, garlic and salt in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Add oil, yogurt, lime juice and pepper; process until the mixture forms a paste.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent discoloration.
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per tablespoon: 46 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 31 mg sodium; 42 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique