Fresh chiles and lime juice give this herb-almond pesto a pleasant kick. Serve with baked tortilla chips or use to top burgers or fish.
- 2 cups lightly packed fresh cilantro, or parsley
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted (see Tip)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine cilantro (or parsley), almonds, jalapeño, garlic and salt in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Add oil, yogurt, lime juice and pepper; process until the mixture forms a paste.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent discoloration.
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per tablespoon: 46 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 31 mg sodium; 42 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation