Heirloom Tomato Salad with Fried Capers
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
Pairing juicy, sweet summer tomatoes with the salty crunch of fried capers and a mustardy vinaigrette creates the most mouthwatering heirloom tomato salad recipe we’ve ever had.
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or dill
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 2 1/2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, mixed colors, halved
- Whisk vinegar, mustard, tarragon (or dill), 1/2 teaspoon pepper and salt in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in 4 tablespoons oil and continue whisking until well combined.
- Pat capers dry thoroughly. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the capers and cook, stirring occasionally, until light brown, about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- Divide tomato wedges and cherry tomatoes among 8 plates. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and top with the fried capers. Season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate vinaigrette (Step 1) for up to 5 days. Bring to room temperature and whisk before using.
Per serving: 103 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g total sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 196 mg sodium; 439 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- Healthy Frying
- July/August 2014