Heirloom Tomato Salad with Fried Capers
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
Pairing juicy, sweet summer tomatoes with the salty crunch of fried capers and a mustardy vinaigrette creates the most mouthwatering heirloom tomato salad recipe we’ve ever had.
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or dill
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 2 1/2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, mixed colors, halved
- Whisk vinegar, mustard, tarragon (or dill), 1/2 teaspoon pepper and salt in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in 4 tablespoons oil and continue whisking until well combined.
- Pat capers dry thoroughly. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the capers and cook, stirring occasionally, until light brown, about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- Divide tomato wedges and cherry tomatoes among 8 plates. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and top with the fried capers. Season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate vinaigrette (Step 1) for up to 5 days. Bring to room temperature and whisk before using.
Per serving: 103 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g total sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 196 mg sodium; 439 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- Healthy Frying
- July/August 2014