Heirloom Tomato Salad with Fried Capers
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
Pairing juicy, sweet summer tomatoes with the salty crunch of fried capers and a mustardy vinaigrette creates the most mouthwatering heirloom tomato salad recipe we’ve ever had.
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or dill
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 2 1/2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, mixed colors, halved
- Whisk vinegar, mustard, tarragon (or dill), 1/2 teaspoon pepper and salt in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in 4 tablespoons oil and continue whisking until well combined.
- Pat capers dry thoroughly. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the capers and cook, stirring occasionally, until light brown, about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- Divide tomato wedges and cherry tomatoes among 8 plates. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and top with the fried capers. Season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate vinaigrette (Step 1) for up to 5 days. Bring to room temperature and whisk before using.
Per serving: 103 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g total sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 196 mg sodium; 439 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- Healthy Frying
- July/August 2014