Heirloom Tomato Salad with Fried Capers
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
Pairing juicy, sweet summer tomatoes with the salty crunch of fried capers and a mustardy vinaigrette creates the most mouthwatering heirloom tomato salad recipe we’ve ever had.
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or dill
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 2 1/2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, mixed colors, halved
- Whisk vinegar, mustard, tarragon (or dill), 1/2 teaspoon pepper and salt in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in 4 tablespoons oil and continue whisking until well combined.
- Pat capers dry thoroughly. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the capers and cook, stirring occasionally, until light brown, about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- Divide tomato wedges and cherry tomatoes among 8 plates. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and top with the fried capers. Season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate vinaigrette (Step 1) for up to 5 days. Bring to room temperature and whisk before using.
Per serving: 103 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g total sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 196 mg sodium; 439 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- Healthy Frying
- July/August 2014