Heirloom Tomato Salad with Fried Capers
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
Pairing juicy, sweet summer tomatoes with the salty crunch of fried capers and a mustardy vinaigrette creates the most mouthwatering heirloom tomato salad recipe we’ve ever had.
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or dill
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 2 1/2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, mixed colors, halved
- Whisk vinegar, mustard, tarragon (or dill), 1/2 teaspoon pepper and salt in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in 4 tablespoons oil and continue whisking until well combined.
- Pat capers dry thoroughly. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the capers and cook, stirring occasionally, until light brown, about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- Divide tomato wedges and cherry tomatoes among 8 plates. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and top with the fried capers. Season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate vinaigrette (Step 1) for up to 5 days. Bring to room temperature and whisk before using.
Per serving: 103 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g total sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 196 mg sodium; 439 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- Healthy Frying
- July/August 2014