Hearty Grain Bread
From EatingWell: March/April 1991
This bread recipe combines bulgur, oatmeal, wheat bran, sunflower seeds and whole-wheat flour for a hearty, crunchy texture. It will keep for several days and freezes beautifully.
- 2 packages active dry yeast, (2 tablespoons)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 2-2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 3/4 cups whole-wheat flour, divided
- 3/4 cup rolled oats, (not instant)
- 3/4 cup bulgur
- 3/4 cup wheat bran
- 3/4 cup sunflower seeds, ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Stir yeast and honey into lukewarm water in a large bowl. Let stand until frothy, about 10 minutes. With a wooden spoon, stir in 1 cup all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour, oats, bulgur and bran. Beat for 100 strokes. Cover with plastic and let rise for 1 hour in a warm, draft-free place. 2 Stir in ground sunflower seeds, salt, remaining 1 cup whole-wheat flour and enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to make a firm, soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, adding additional all-purpose flour as needed to prevent the dough from sticking.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with plastic and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours. Punch the dough down, cover and let rise again for until doubled, about 1 hour. (Alternatively, refrigerate the dough, let it rise overnight, then allow it to return to room temperature.)
- Divide dough in half and shape each portion into an oval loaf, about 8 inches long. Places loaves at least 3 inches apart on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Cover with a towel and let rise until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush the tops of the loaves lightly with water. With a serrated knife, make 3 diagonal slashes about 1/4 inch deep across the tops. Bake the loaves until tops are golden brown and the bottoms sound hollow when tapped, 25 to 35 minutes.
Per slice: 146 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 152 mg sodium; 112 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1991