Healthy Quiche Crust
From EatingWell: March/April 2014
For our healthy homemade quiche crust recipe, we use half whole-wheat flour, replace some of the butter with heart-healthy olive oil and add a little sour cream to keep the crust flaky and tender. Making your own quiche crust recipe means you’ll skip unhealthy fats, preservatives and artificial color found in many store-bought crusts.
- 3/4 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons ice water
- Whisk whole-wheat flour and all-purpose flour with salt in a medium bowl. Cut butter into small pieces; using your fingers, quickly rub the butter into the dry ingredients until smaller but still visible.
- Add sour cream and oil; toss with a fork to combine with the dry ingredients. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of ice water over the mixture. Toss with a fork until evenly moist; if the mixture seems dry, add up to 1 more tablespoon water. Knead the dough in the bowl a few times—the mixture may still be a little crumbly—then firmly press into a disk. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days. Or wrap airtight and freeze for up to 3 months.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate the dough airtight for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per serving: 143 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 76 mg sodium; 33 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low carbohydrate
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2014