Healthy Quiche Crust
From EatingWell: March/April 2014
For our healthy homemade quiche crust recipe, we use half whole-wheat flour, replace some of the butter with heart-healthy olive oil and add a little sour cream to keep the crust flaky and tender. Making your own quiche crust recipe means you’ll skip unhealthy fats, preservatives and artificial color found in many store-bought crusts.
- 3/4 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons ice water
- Whisk whole-wheat flour and all-purpose flour with salt in a medium bowl. Cut butter into small pieces; using your fingers, quickly rub the butter into the dry ingredients until smaller but still visible.
- Add sour cream and oil; toss with a fork to combine with the dry ingredients. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of ice water over the mixture. Toss with a fork until evenly moist; if the mixture seems dry, add up to 1 more tablespoon water. Knead the dough in the bowl a few times—the mixture may still be a little crumbly—then firmly press into a disk. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days. Or wrap airtight and freeze for up to 3 months.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate the dough airtight for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per serving: 143 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 76 mg sodium; 33 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low carbohydrate
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2014