Haymaker's Ginger Switchel
From EatingWell: July/August 2008
This ginger punch is flavored with lemon juice and sweetened with honey and molasses for a refreshing drink that quenches even the fiercest summer thirst.
- 9 cups water, divided
- 1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup honey, or pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- Fresh berries, mint sprigs or lemon slices for garnish
- Combine 3 cups water with ginger in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let infuse for 15 minutes.
- Strain the ginger-infused water into a pitcher, pressing on the ginger solids to extract all the liquid. Add honey (or maple syrup) and molasses; stir until dissolved. Stir in lemon juice, vinegar and the remaining 6 cups water. Chill until very cold, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Stir the punch and serve in tall glasses over ice cubes. Garnish with berries, mint sprigs or lemon slices, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 73 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 13 mg sodium; 195 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, nonalcoholic
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- July/August 2008