Hawaiian Ginger-Chicken Stew for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
This chicken stew has a bold ginger-flavored broth and provides a whole serving of dark leafy greens in each bowl. We tried it with frozen chopped mustard greens (available in large supermarkets) and it was even quicker to prepare and just as delicious. Serve with brown rice.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil, or canola oil
- 1/2 pound chicken tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks or minced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dry sherry, (see Tip)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian red chile sauce, such as sriracha, or to taste
- 1/2 bunch mustard greens, or chard, stemmed and chopped (3-3 1/2 cups), or 1 cup frozen chopped mustard greens
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate with tongs.
- Add ginger and garlic to the pot and cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add sherry and cook until mostly evaporated, scraping up any browned bits, 1 1/2 to 3 minutes. Add broth and water, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Add soy sauce, chile sauce and mustard greens (or chard) and cook until the greens are tender, about 3 minutes. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pot and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: “Cooking sherry” can be high in sodium. Instead, look for dry sherry with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 201 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 346 mg sodium; 369 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (180% daily value), Vitamin C (100% dv), Folate (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2009