Hawaiian Ginger-Chicken Stew for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
This chicken stew has a bold ginger-flavored broth and provides a whole serving of dark leafy greens in each bowl. We tried it with frozen chopped mustard greens (available in large supermarkets) and it was even quicker to prepare and just as delicious. Serve with brown rice.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil, or canola oil
- 1/2 pound chicken tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks or minced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dry sherry, (see Tip)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian red chile sauce, such as sriracha, or to taste
- 1/2 bunch mustard greens, or chard, stemmed and chopped (3-3 1/2 cups), or 1 cup frozen chopped mustard greens
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate with tongs.
- Add ginger and garlic to the pot and cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add sherry and cook until mostly evaporated, scraping up any browned bits, 1 1/2 to 3 minutes. Add broth and water, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Add soy sauce, chile sauce and mustard greens (or chard) and cook until the greens are tender, about 3 minutes. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pot and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: “Cooking sherry” can be high in sodium. Instead, look for dry sherry with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 201 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 346 mg sodium; 369 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (180% daily value), Vitamin C (100% dv), Folate (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2009