Hawaiian Ginger-Chicken Stew for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
This chicken stew has a bold ginger-flavored broth and provides a whole serving of dark leafy greens in each bowl. We tried it with frozen chopped mustard greens (available in large supermarkets) and it was even quicker to prepare and just as delicious. Serve with brown rice.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil, or canola oil
- 1/2 pound chicken tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks or minced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dry sherry, (see Tip)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian red chile sauce, such as sriracha, or to taste
- 1/2 bunch mustard greens, or chard, stemmed and chopped (3-3 1/2 cups), or 1 cup frozen chopped mustard greens
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate with tongs.
- Add ginger and garlic to the pot and cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add sherry and cook until mostly evaporated, scraping up any browned bits, 1 1/2 to 3 minutes. Add broth and water, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Add soy sauce, chile sauce and mustard greens (or chard) and cook until the greens are tender, about 3 minutes. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pot and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: “Cooking sherry” can be high in sodium. Instead, look for dry sherry with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 201 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 346 mg sodium; 369 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (180% daily value), Vitamin C (100% dv), Folate (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2009