Hawaiian Ginger-Chicken Stew for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
This chicken stew has a bold ginger-flavored broth and provides a whole serving of dark leafy greens in each bowl. We tried it with frozen chopped mustard greens (available in large supermarkets) and it was even quicker to prepare and just as delicious. Serve with brown rice.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil, or canola oil
- 1/2 pound chicken tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks or minced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dry sherry, (see Tip)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian red chile sauce, such as sriracha, or to taste
- 1/2 bunch mustard greens, or chard, stemmed and chopped (3-3 1/2 cups), or 1 cup frozen chopped mustard greens
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate with tongs.
- Add ginger and garlic to the pot and cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add sherry and cook until mostly evaporated, scraping up any browned bits, 1 1/2 to 3 minutes. Add broth and water, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Add soy sauce, chile sauce and mustard greens (or chard) and cook until the greens are tender, about 3 minutes. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pot and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: “Cooking sherry” can be high in sodium. Instead, look for dry sherry with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 201 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 346 mg sodium; 369 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (180% daily value), Vitamin C (100% dv), Folate (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March/April 2009