Hawaiian Ginger-Chicken Stew for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
This chicken stew has a bold ginger-flavored broth and provides a whole serving of dark leafy greens in each bowl. We tried it with frozen chopped mustard greens (available in large supermarkets) and it was even quicker to prepare and just as delicious. Serve with brown rice.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil, or canola oil
- 1/2 pound chicken tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks or minced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dry sherry, (see Tip)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian red chile sauce, such as sriracha, or to taste
- 1/2 bunch mustard greens, or chard, stemmed and chopped (3-3 1/2 cups), or 1 cup frozen chopped mustard greens
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate with tongs.
- Add ginger and garlic to the pot and cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add sherry and cook until mostly evaporated, scraping up any browned bits, 1 1/2 to 3 minutes. Add broth and water, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Add soy sauce, chile sauce and mustard greens (or chard) and cook until the greens are tender, about 3 minutes. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pot and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: “Cooking sherry” can be high in sodium. Instead, look for dry sherry with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 201 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 346 mg sodium; 369 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (180% daily value), Vitamin C (100% dv), Folate (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2009