I added slivered rehydrated shiitakes and scallions, used shaoxing rice wine instead of sherry, and subbed white pepper for the chile sauce because our kids have mild palates -- we added sambal oelek at the table. It was delicious and felt virtuous on a cold Sunday night.
Hawaiian Ginger-Chicken Stew
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
This chicken stew has a bold ginger-flavored broth and provides a whole serving of dark leafy greens in each bowl. We tried it with frozen chopped mustard greens (available in large supermarkets) and it was even quicker to prepare and just as delicious. Serve with brown rice.
18 Reviews for Hawaiian Ginger-Chicken Stew
I believe this was so.....so....for me. I did not like the chicken in it where the only thing my husband liked was the chicken. Alhtough this may be a good base or just great to drink the broth. I don't think I will be making this again. Thanks though!
I made this soup today with a few substitutions. I used bok choy instead of mustard greens and ground turkey instead of chicken (since we are tired of chicken dishes). It was excellent!! I also added carrots (cut up in matchsticks) I loved the ginger flavor. It wasn't to overpowering... just right.
One of my favorite EatingWell recipes. So many possible variations depending on what you have on hand -- I've added carrot and daikon radish. I make it with Chinese rice wine and different greens work well (kale, chard). I've used fresh Thai or serrano chile peppers when I've wanted heat, but this dish is just as good not spicy.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)