Hash Browns Revisited
We used fresh potatoes in these quick hash browns, but this is a great way to use last night's leftovers.
- 3 medium russet potatoes, (1 pound total), peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch paprika
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with cold, lightly salted water. Bring to a boil and boil until potatoes are just tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Drain and cool. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes. (You should have 2 cups of cubed potatoes.)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until they are limp and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and continue to sauté until golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes. (Lower heat slightly if pan becomes too hot.) Season with salt, pepper and paprika. Stir in parsley and serve immediately.
Per serving: 118 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 298 mg sodium; 504 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less