Hash Browns Revisited
We used fresh potatoes in these quick hash browns, but this is a great way to use last night's leftovers.
- 3 medium russet potatoes, (1 pound total), peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch paprika
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with cold, lightly salted water. Bring to a boil and boil until potatoes are just tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Drain and cool. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes. (You should have 2 cups of cubed potatoes.)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until they are limp and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and continue to sauté until golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes. (Lower heat slightly if pan becomes too hot.) Season with salt, pepper and paprika. Stir in parsley and serve immediately.
Per serving: 118 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 298 mg sodium; 504 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique