From EatingWell: October 1997
Use a spicy, not-too-sweet barbecue sauce in this beef and vegetable pie.
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup bulgur
- 1/3 pound lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- To make filling: Pulse onion, celery and bell peppers in a food processor until finely chopped. Set aside.
- Toast bulgur in a large dry skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add beef to pan and cook over medium heat, breaking up clumps with a fork, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a colander to drain. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel; add olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add the reserved vegetables and cook, stirring, until they start to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add flour and stir for 1 minute. Add broth, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce and the reserved beef and bulgur. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- To make crust & bake pie: Preheat oven to 450°F. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, celery seed and parsley in a mixing bowl.
- Combine buttermilk and canola oil in a glass measuring cup. Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and stir with a fork until just combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead gently 7 to 8 times. Roll into an 8-inch circle with a floured rolling pin. Flour a fluted pastry wheel or a knife and cut dough into 6 triangles.
- Spoon the filling into an ungreased 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie pan. Arrange biscuits evenly over filling. Bake until bubbling, 20 to 30 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat before continuing. | Equipment: 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie pan
Per serving: 272 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 3 g fiber; 751 mg sodium; 410 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (59% daily value), Folate (20% dv), Selenium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Main Ingredient
- October 1997
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)