Ham & Swiss Rosti
Rösti is a traditional Swiss potato pancake typically served as a side dish but we added ham and cheese to transform it into an easy weeknight supper. Enjoy with steamed asparagus and chunky applesauce on the side.
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup diced ham, (about 5 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded part-skim Jarlsberg, or Swiss cheese, divided
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Beat egg in a large bowl. Stir in ham, 1/2 cup cheese, shallot, rosemary, pepper and salt. Add frozen potatoes and stir to combine.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Pat the potato mixture into an even round in the pan. Cover and cook until browned and crispy on the bottom, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Place a rimless baking sheet on top. Wearing oven mitts, grasp the pan and baking sheet together and carefully invert, unmolding the rösti onto the baking sheet. Wipe out any browned bits from the pan. Return it to the heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Slide the rösti back into the pan. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese, cover and cook the second side until crispy and browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Slide onto a platter, cut into wedges and serve.
Per serving: 262 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 94 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 2 g fiber; 276 mg sodium; 174 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (34% daily value), Calcium (25% dv), Zinc (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Other European
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique