I made this for Christmas brunch and everyone loved it! My mother is allergic to dairy and wheat and I used unsweetened Almond Milk, vegetarian mozzarella cheese and gluten free bread. Everyone loved it!
Ham & Cheese Breakfast Casserole
From EatingWell: April/May 2006
This healthy update of a traditionally rich ham-and-cheese breakfast strata is made lighter primarily by losing a few egg yolks and using nonfat milk. Gruyère cheese has a delicious, nutty aroma and flavor, which means that with the relatively small amount in this recipe you still get a big impact. To finish the makeover use nutritious, fiber-rich, whole-grain bread instead of white. The results: plenty of flavor, half the calories and one-third the fat of the original.
5 Reviews for Ham & Cheese Breakfast Casserole
This was really easy to make ahead of time and bake in the morning. I am glad that I used the crusts of the bread, because I am afraid that it wouldn't have had much texture otherwise. Next time I won't be so conservative with the pepper and rosemary and I might add some additional chili pepper to give it a little heat.
I used Southwestern style Eggbeaters, a little bit of ham and cheddar and chipotle chili powder as the spice. I topped it with thin slice of vine-ripened tomatoes...and it was delicious.
Great recipe. Quick put together on a weeknight. All my boys and man loved it. Yes, loads of calories, but worth every bite. Served with a salad, everyone loved it.
This seems like a pretty good meal for mothers day, but to reduce calories eggbeaters could be a good substitute for the whole eggs and egg whites.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)