Chopped Ham & Apple Salad with Creamy Parmesan Dressing
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
This healthy main-course chopped salad recipe pairs bitter escarole and radicchio with sweet apple, smoky ham and crunchy pecans. But the pairing possibilities are limitless—you can also use cooked chicken and tangerines instead of ham and apples or bell pepper in place of the radishes. Serve with pumpernickel bread toasted with extra-sharp Cheddar cheese.
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chopped escarole or curly endive
- 5 cups chopped radicchio or Belgian endive
- 1 large sweet, crisp apple, such as Pink Lady, cubed
- 1 cup sliced radishes
- 3/4 cup sliced smoked ham steak (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans (see Tip)
- Whisk yogurt, Parmesan, mayonnaise, vinegar, tarragon, pepper and salt in a large bowl.
- Add escarole (or endive), radicchio (or endive), apple, radishes, ham and pecans to the dressing; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
- For the best flavor, toast chopped nuts or seeds. Heat a dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts or seeds and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 257 calories; 15 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g total sugars; 13 g protein; 6 g fiber; 722 mg sodium; 681 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (42% daily value), Folate (38% dv), Vitamin A (35% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Zinc (16% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lowfat milk, 1 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014