Chopped Ham & Apple Salad with Creamy Parmesan Dressing
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
This healthy main-course chopped salad recipe pairs bitter escarole and radicchio with sweet apple, smoky ham and crunchy pecans. But the pairing possibilities are limitless—you can also use cooked chicken and tangerines instead of ham and apples or bell pepper in place of the radishes. Serve with pumpernickel bread toasted with extra-sharp Cheddar cheese.
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chopped escarole or curly endive
- 5 cups chopped radicchio or Belgian endive
- 1 large sweet, crisp apple, such as Pink Lady, cubed
- 1 cup sliced radishes
- 3/4 cup sliced smoked ham steak (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans (see Tip)
- Whisk yogurt, Parmesan, mayonnaise, vinegar, tarragon, pepper and salt in a large bowl.
- Add escarole (or endive), radicchio (or endive), apple, radishes, ham and pecans to the dressing; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
- For the best flavor, toast chopped nuts or seeds. Heat a dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts or seeds and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 257 calories; 15 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g total sugars; 13 g protein; 6 g fiber; 722 mg sodium; 681 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (42% daily value), Folate (38% dv), Vitamin A (35% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Zinc (16% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lowfat milk, 1 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014