Chopped Ham & Apple Salad with Creamy Parmesan Dressing
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
This healthy main-course chopped salad recipe pairs bitter escarole and radicchio with sweet apple, smoky ham and crunchy pecans. But the pairing possibilities are limitless—you can also use cooked chicken and tangerines instead of ham and apples or bell pepper in place of the radishes. Serve with pumpernickel bread toasted with extra-sharp Cheddar cheese.
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chopped escarole or curly endive
- 5 cups chopped radicchio or Belgian endive
- 1 large sweet, crisp apple, such as Pink Lady, cubed
- 1 cup sliced radishes
- 3/4 cup sliced smoked ham steak (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans (see Tip)
- Whisk yogurt, Parmesan, mayonnaise, vinegar, tarragon, pepper and salt in a large bowl.
- Add escarole (or endive), radicchio (or endive), apple, radishes, ham and pecans to the dressing; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
- For the best flavor, toast chopped nuts or seeds. Heat a dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts or seeds and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 257 calories; 15 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g total sugars; 13 g protein; 6 g fiber; 722 mg sodium; 681 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (42% daily value), Folate (38% dv), Vitamin A (35% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Zinc (16% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lowfat milk, 1 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014