Chopped Ham & Apple Salad with Creamy Parmesan Dressing
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
This healthy main-course chopped salad recipe pairs bitter escarole and radicchio with sweet apple, smoky ham and crunchy pecans. But the pairing possibilities are limitless—you can also use cooked chicken and tangerines instead of ham and apples or bell pepper in place of the radishes. Serve with pumpernickel bread toasted with extra-sharp Cheddar cheese.
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chopped escarole or curly endive
- 5 cups chopped radicchio or Belgian endive
- 1 large sweet, crisp apple, such as Pink Lady, cubed
- 1 cup sliced radishes
- 3/4 cup sliced smoked ham steak (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans (see Tip)
- Whisk yogurt, Parmesan, mayonnaise, vinegar, tarragon, pepper and salt in a large bowl.
- Add escarole (or endive), radicchio (or endive), apple, radishes, ham and pecans to the dressing; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
- For the best flavor, toast chopped nuts or seeds. Heat a dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts or seeds and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 257 calories; 15 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g total sugars; 13 g protein; 6 g fiber; 722 mg sodium; 681 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (42% daily value), Folate (38% dv), Vitamin A (35% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Zinc (16% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lowfat milk, 1 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2014