Chopped Ham & Apple Salad with Creamy Parmesan Dressing
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
This healthy main-course chopped salad recipe pairs bitter escarole and radicchio with sweet apple, smoky ham and crunchy pecans. But the pairing possibilities are limitless—you can also use cooked chicken and tangerines instead of ham and apples or bell pepper in place of the radishes. Serve with pumpernickel bread toasted with extra-sharp Cheddar cheese.
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chopped escarole or curly endive
- 5 cups chopped radicchio or Belgian endive
- 1 large sweet, crisp apple, such as Pink Lady, cubed
- 1 cup sliced radishes
- 3/4 cup sliced smoked ham steak (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans (see Tip)
- Whisk yogurt, Parmesan, mayonnaise, vinegar, tarragon, pepper and salt in a large bowl.
- Add escarole (or endive), radicchio (or endive), apple, radishes, ham and pecans to the dressing; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
- For the best flavor, toast chopped nuts or seeds. Heat a dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts or seeds and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 257 calories; 15 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g total sugars; 13 g protein; 6 g fiber; 722 mg sodium; 681 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (42% daily value), Folate (38% dv), Vitamin A (35% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Zinc (16% dv), Calcium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lowfat milk, 1 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)