Halibut with Lemon & Caper Sauce
From EatingWell: May/June 1991
If using fish steaks, chill them in the freezer for 1/2 to 1 hour so they will be easy to slice. Fillets of sole, orange roughy, ocean perch or catfish are delicious cooked this way but do not need to be sliced before cooking.
- 1/2 lemon, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound halibut fillet (about 1 1/2 inches thick), cut into 1/4-inch-thick diagonal slices
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup fish stock or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon capers (optional)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- With a sharp knife, remove skin and white pith from lemon and discard. Cut the segments of the fruit away from their surrounding membranes into a bowl (discard seeds). Strain and reserve juice. Chop fruit coarsely.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge fish lightly in the flour mixture. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the fish until the outside is golden brown and the interior is opaque, 1 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to plates or a platter and keep warm.
- Add garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for several seconds. Add fish stock or broth and bring to a boil, stirring. Add lemon and juice, capers (if using) and butter, swirling the pan until the butter has melted. Spoon the sauce over the fish. Sprinkle with parsley and grind more pepper over top.
Per serving: 196 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 365 mg sodium; 546 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (63% daily value), Magnesium (25% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1991