Halibut with Lemon & Caper Sauce
From EatingWell: May/June 1991
If using fish steaks, chill them in the freezer for 1/2 to 1 hour so they will be easy to slice. Fillets of sole, orange roughy, ocean perch or catfish are delicious cooked this way but do not need to be sliced before cooking.
- 1/2 lemon, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound halibut fillet (about 1 1/2 inches thick), cut into 1/4-inch-thick diagonal slices
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup fish stock or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon capers (optional)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- With a sharp knife, remove skin and white pith from lemon and discard. Cut the segments of the fruit away from their surrounding membranes into a bowl (discard seeds). Strain and reserve juice. Chop fruit coarsely.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge fish lightly in the flour mixture. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the fish until the outside is golden brown and the interior is opaque, 1 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to plates or a platter and keep warm.
- Add garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for several seconds. Add fish stock or broth and bring to a boil, stirring. Add lemon and juice, capers (if using) and butter, swirling the pan until the butter has melted. Spoon the sauce over the fish. Sprinkle with parsley and grind more pepper over top.
Per serving: 196 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 365 mg sodium; 546 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (63% daily value), Magnesium (25% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1991