Halibut with Lemon & Caper Sauce
From EatingWell: May/June 1991
If using fish steaks, chill them in the freezer for 1/2 to 1 hour so they will be easy to slice. Fillets of sole, orange roughy, ocean perch or catfish are delicious cooked this way but do not need to be sliced before cooking.
- 1/2 lemon, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound halibut fillet (about 1 1/2 inches thick), cut into 1/4-inch-thick diagonal slices
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup fish stock or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon capers (optional)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- With a sharp knife, remove skin and white pith from lemon and discard. Cut the segments of the fruit away from their surrounding membranes into a bowl (discard seeds). Strain and reserve juice. Chop fruit coarsely.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge fish lightly in the flour mixture. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the fish until the outside is golden brown and the interior is opaque, 1 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to plates or a platter and keep warm.
- Add garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for several seconds. Add fish stock or broth and bring to a boil, stirring. Add lemon and juice, capers (if using) and butter, swirling the pan until the butter has melted. Spoon the sauce over the fish. Sprinkle with parsley and grind more pepper over top.
Per serving: 196 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 365 mg sodium; 546 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (63% daily value), Magnesium (25% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 1991