Grilled Halibut Salad with Beet-Carrot Slaw
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
The halibut doesn’t stick or fall apart in this salad recipe because you grill it on foil. A beet and carrot slaw with tarragon-lemon vinaigrette makes this meal a standout.
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 1/4 pounds halibut or swordfish, skinned
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 sprigs fresh tarragon plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped, divided
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 heads butterhead lettuce, torn
- 1 large beet, preferably golden or Chioggia, shredded
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Measure a piece of foil large enough to hold the fish and coat it with cooking spray. Place a layer of lemon slices on the foil and lay fish on the lemon slices. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and top with tarragon sprigs.
- Grill the fish on the foil (without turning) until it flakes easily, 12 to 20 minutes, depending on the thickness.
- Meanwhile, whisk oil, lemon juice, chopped tarragon, mustard, pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl.
- Toss lettuce with about 1/4 cup of the dressing in a large bowl; divide among 4 plates. Add beet and carrot to the bowl; toss with 2 tablespoons of the dressing. Divide the fish and slaw among the plates (discard the tarragon sprigs and lemon slices). Drizzle with the remaining dressing.
Per serving: 339 calories; 20 g fat (3 g sat, 14 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 597 mg sodium; 1296 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (209% daily value), Folate (52% dv), Potassium (37% dv), Vitamin C (27% dv), Iron & Magnesium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 2012