Halibut Roasted with Red Bell Peppers, Onions & Russet Potatoes
The firm flesh of halibut makes it the perfect choice for this dish, but feel free to substitute salmon, cod or any other thick fish. The bell peppers can be varied as well—exchange green for red or use a combination of red, green and yellow. You can also add rosemary, basil or even mint to the gremolata, a classic Italian seasoning of parsley, garlic and lemon zest. Accompany the dish with greens, such as spinach or chard.
- 2 russet potatoes, (about 1 pound), scrubbed, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch spears
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered, seeded and cut into eight 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 large white onion, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 pounds halibut fillet, (about 3/4 inch thick), skin removed, cut into 4 portions
- Lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place potatoes in a large roasting pan or on a large rimmed baking sheet; drizzle with oil and turn to coat evenly. Add bell pepper and onion. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Roast the vegetables, turning the potatoes once or twice and moving the pepper and onion pieces around so they brown evenly, until the potatoes are starting to brown and are almost tender, about 35 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, finely chop parsley, lemon zest, oregano and garlic together to make gremolata. Season halibut with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper, then sprinkle with 2 teaspoons gremolata.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Increase oven temperature to 450°. Push the vegetables to the sides of the pan and place the halibut in the center. Spoon some of the onions and peppers over the halibut. Arrange the potatoes around the edges, turning the browned sides up.
- Roast until the vegetables are browned and tender and the halibut is opaque in the center, 10 to 15 minutes more, depending on the thickness of the fish. Sprinkle the remaining gremolata on top. Arrange the halibut and vegetables on a platter or individual plates. Serve with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- How to Skin a Fish Fillet
- You can ask to have the skin removed from a piece of salmon or halibut fillet at the fish counter, but it is also easy to do it yourself. Place the fillet, skin-side down, on a cutting board. Use a thin sharp knife to cut between skin and flesh at the tip. Grasp the skin with your free hand and ease the knife carefully between skin and flesh, keeping the knife pointed slightly toward the skin, until skin is removed.
Per serving: 363 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 39 g protein; 3 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 1432 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (190% daily value), Potassium (71% dv), Vitamin A (60% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 5 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, formal