Halibut Roasted with Red Bell Peppers, Onions & Russet Potatoes
The firm flesh of halibut makes it the perfect choice for this dish, but feel free to substitute salmon, cod or any other thick fish. The bell peppers can be varied as well—exchange green for red or use a combination of red, green and yellow. You can also add rosemary, basil or even mint to the gremolata, a classic Italian seasoning of parsley, garlic and lemon zest. Accompany the dish with greens, such as spinach or chard.
- 2 russet potatoes, (about 1 pound), scrubbed, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch spears
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered, seeded and cut into eight 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 large white onion, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 pounds halibut fillet, (about 3/4 inch thick), skin removed, cut into 4 portions
- Lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place potatoes in a large roasting pan or on a large rimmed baking sheet; drizzle with oil and turn to coat evenly. Add bell pepper and onion. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Roast the vegetables, turning the potatoes once or twice and moving the pepper and onion pieces around so they brown evenly, until the potatoes are starting to brown and are almost tender, about 35 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, finely chop parsley, lemon zest, oregano and garlic together to make gremolata. Season halibut with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper, then sprinkle with 2 teaspoons gremolata.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Increase oven temperature to 450°. Push the vegetables to the sides of the pan and place the halibut in the center. Spoon some of the onions and peppers over the halibut. Arrange the potatoes around the edges, turning the browned sides up.
- Roast until the vegetables are browned and tender and the halibut is opaque in the center, 10 to 15 minutes more, depending on the thickness of the fish. Sprinkle the remaining gremolata on top. Arrange the halibut and vegetables on a platter or individual plates. Serve with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- How to Skin a Fish Fillet
- You can ask to have the skin removed from a piece of salmon or halibut fillet at the fish counter, but it is also easy to do it yourself. Place the fillet, skin-side down, on a cutting board. Use a thin sharp knife to cut between skin and flesh at the tip. Grasp the skin with your free hand and ease the knife carefully between skin and flesh, keeping the knife pointed slightly toward the skin, until skin is removed.
Per serving: 363 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 39 g protein; 3 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 1432 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (190% daily value), Potassium (71% dv), Vitamin A (60% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 5 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Entertaining, formal
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique