Halibut Roasted with Red Bell Peppers, Onions & Russet Potatoes
The firm flesh of halibut makes it the perfect choice for this dish, but feel free to substitute salmon, cod or any other thick fish. The bell peppers can be varied as well—exchange green for red or use a combination of red, green and yellow. You can also add rosemary, basil or even mint to the gremolata, a classic Italian seasoning of parsley, garlic and lemon zest. Accompany the dish with greens, such as spinach or chard.
- 2 russet potatoes, (about 1 pound), scrubbed, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch spears
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered, seeded and cut into eight 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 large white onion, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 pounds halibut fillet, (about 3/4 inch thick), skin removed, cut into 4 portions
- Lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place potatoes in a large roasting pan or on a large rimmed baking sheet; drizzle with oil and turn to coat evenly. Add bell pepper and onion. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Roast the vegetables, turning the potatoes once or twice and moving the pepper and onion pieces around so they brown evenly, until the potatoes are starting to brown and are almost tender, about 35 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, finely chop parsley, lemon zest, oregano and garlic together to make gremolata. Season halibut with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper, then sprinkle with 2 teaspoons gremolata.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Increase oven temperature to 450°. Push the vegetables to the sides of the pan and place the halibut in the center. Spoon some of the onions and peppers over the halibut. Arrange the potatoes around the edges, turning the browned sides up.
- Roast until the vegetables are browned and tender and the halibut is opaque in the center, 10 to 15 minutes more, depending on the thickness of the fish. Sprinkle the remaining gremolata on top. Arrange the halibut and vegetables on a platter or individual plates. Serve with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- How to Skin a Fish Fillet
- You can ask to have the skin removed from a piece of salmon or halibut fillet at the fish counter, but it is also easy to do it yourself. Place the fillet, skin-side down, on a cutting board. Use a thin sharp knife to cut between skin and flesh at the tip. Grasp the skin with your free hand and ease the knife carefully between skin and flesh, keeping the knife pointed slightly toward the skin, until skin is removed.
Per serving: 363 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 39 g protein; 3 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 1432 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (190% daily value), Potassium (71% dv), Vitamin A (60% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 5 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, formal
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)