Sauteed Haddock with Orange-Shallot Sauce
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
In this easy haddock recipe, the fish’s delicate flavor is wonderfully balanced by the sweet and savory combination of orange, shallot and mustard. You can also make this haddock recipe with flounder or sole from the Pacific (considered a good choice by the Monterey Bay Aquarium).
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound haddock fillets, Pacific flounder or sole
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 heaping teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Mix flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Thoroughly dredge fish fillets in the mixture.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add the fish and cook until lightly browned and just opaque in the center, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover loosely with foil.
- Add shallot to the pan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until softened and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add wine and bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits. Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Add orange juice and mustard; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the sauce thickens a bit, about 5 minutes. Add butter and parsley; stir until the butter has melted. Transfer fish to individual plates, top with sauce and serve.
Per serving: 205 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 0 g fiber; 322 mg sodium; 516 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (59% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean protein, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Entertaining, formal
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2012