Guinness-Marinated Bison Steak Sandwiches
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
This open-face, “fork and knife” sandwich is piled with slices of Guinness-marinated bison steak, mushrooms and red onion.
- 1 cup Guinness beer, or other stout
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses, (not blackstrap)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound boneless bison rib-eye steaks, 1 1/2-2 inches thick (see Tip)
- 24 cremini mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 slices rye bread, 1/2-3/4 inch thick
- Combine beer, sweet onion, soy sauce, molasses, rosemary, garlic and Worcestershire sauce in a large sealable plastic bag. Add steaks. Seal the bag, shake and turn it, and refrigerate, flipping over and shaking the bag from time to time, for 12 to 18 hours.
- Preheat a grill to medium. Remove the steaks from the marinade and pat dry. Reserve 1 cup marinade (discard the rest). Brush mushroom caps and onion slices with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in a grilling basket. (No grill basket? See Tip, below.) Place the basket on the grill; place the steaks directly on the grill rack. Grill the steaks and vegetables until browned on the first side, 5 to 7 minutes. Turn everything over and grill until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the steak registers 125°F for medium-rare and the vegetables are soft and lightly browned, about 5 minutes more. Remove from the grill and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Lightly grill or toast the bread.
- Meanwhile, place the reserved 1 cup marinade in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Boil until reduced by about half, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Divide the mushrooms and onions among the pieces of toast and drizzle each with about 1 tablespoon of the reduced sauce. Slice the steak; divide among the sandwiches and drizzle with more sauce. Pour any accumulated juice from the steak over the sandwiches and serve with a fork and knife.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Marinate the steak for 12 to 18 hours.
- Tips: Rib-eyes are great-tasting bison steaks, but they must be cut thick, at least 1 1/2 inches, so you can sear and brown the outside without overcooking the inside. Because bison is so lean, it's important to cook the steaks no more than medium-rare to keep them juicy and tender
- No grill basket? You can improvise one with heavy-duty foil. Fold a 24-inch-long piece of heavy-duty foil in half and crimp up the edges to create a lip. This “basket” will prevent the vegetables from falling through the grill rack.
Per serving: 343 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 591 mg sodium; 1037 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (33% daily value), Potassium (30% dv), Iron (26% dv), Folate (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 2009