Guacamole-Stuffed Poblano Peppers
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
A cousin of chile rellenos, these roasted stuffed poblano peppers are filled with guacamole and shredded lettuce. Serve this healthy Mexican recipe as a light lunch or go all out and serve it as a side dish with tacos or enchiladas for dinner.
- 5 small-to-medium poblano peppers
- 2 ripe avocados, halved and pitted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup thinly sliced hearts of romaine
- Preheat broiler to High.
- Place peppers on a large baking sheet. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat source, turning once or twice, until the skins blacken and blister, about 10 minutes total. Transfer to a large bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and let stand until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Peel the peppers, leaving the stems attached.
- Meanwhile, scoop avocados into a medium bowl and coarsely mash. Add cilantro, onion and salt; stir to combine.
- Stem and seed 1 pepper; chop. Stir into the avocado mixture. Make a lengthwise slit through one wall of each of the remaining 4 peppers and carefully remove the seeds. Divide romaine among the peppers, then fill with a generous 1/3 cup guacamole each.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare poblanos (Steps 1-2); cover and refrigerate in a single layer for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 185 calories; 15 g fat (2 g sat, 10 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 9 g fiber; 157 mg sodium; 695 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (143% daily value), Vitamin A (32% dv), Folate (27% dv), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2013