Guacamole-Stuffed Poblano Peppers
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
A cousin of chile rellenos, these roasted stuffed poblano peppers are filled with guacamole and shredded lettuce. Serve this healthy Mexican recipe as a light lunch or go all out and serve it as a side dish with tacos or enchiladas for dinner.
- 5 small-to-medium poblano peppers
- 2 ripe avocados, halved and pitted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup thinly sliced hearts of romaine
- Preheat broiler to High.
- Place peppers on a large baking sheet. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat source, turning once or twice, until the skins blacken and blister, about 10 minutes total. Transfer to a large bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and let stand until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Peel the peppers, leaving the stems attached.
- Meanwhile, scoop avocados into a medium bowl and coarsely mash. Add cilantro, onion and salt; stir to combine.
- Stem and seed 1 pepper; chop. Stir into the avocado mixture. Make a lengthwise slit through one wall of each of the remaining 4 peppers and carefully remove the seeds. Divide romaine among the peppers, then fill with a generous 1/3 cup guacamole each.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare poblanos (Steps 1-2); cover and refrigerate in a single layer for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 185 calories; 15 g fat (2 g sat, 10 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 9 g fiber; 157 mg sodium; 695 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (143% daily value), Vitamin A (32% dv), Folate (27% dv), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013