Guacamole-Stuffed Poblano Peppers
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
A cousin of chile rellenos, these roasted stuffed poblano peppers are filled with guacamole and shredded lettuce. Serve this healthy Mexican recipe as a light lunch or go all out and serve it as a side dish with tacos or enchiladas for dinner.
- 5 small-to-medium poblano peppers
- 2 ripe avocados, halved and pitted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup thinly sliced hearts of romaine
- Preheat broiler to High.
- Place peppers on a large baking sheet. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat source, turning once or twice, until the skins blacken and blister, about 10 minutes total. Transfer to a large bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and let stand until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Peel the peppers, leaving the stems attached.
- Meanwhile, scoop avocados into a medium bowl and coarsely mash. Add cilantro, onion and salt; stir to combine.
- Stem and seed 1 pepper; chop. Stir into the avocado mixture. Make a lengthwise slit through one wall of each of the remaining 4 peppers and carefully remove the seeds. Divide romaine among the peppers, then fill with a generous 1/3 cup guacamole each.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare poblanos (Steps 1-2); cover and refrigerate in a single layer for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 185 calories; 15 g fat (2 g sat, 10 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 9 g fiber; 157 mg sodium; 695 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (143% daily value), Vitamin A (32% dv), Folate (27% dv), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Grapefruit can add a healthy and refreshing flavor to entrees...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2013