Roasted Garlic Guacamole with Help-Yourself Garnishes
From EatingWell: March/April 2010
Rick Bayless’s new book is all about how to throw a great fiesta, or party, and a key part of any great fiesta is the food. “I like to welcome guests with this guacamole bar,” he says. “I start off with a basic guacamole made with roasted garlic and set out bowls of toppings so everyone can customize each bite.” (Recipe from "Fiesta at Rick’s" by Rick Bayless; W.W. Norton and Company, July 2010.)
- 6 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 6 ripe medium avocados
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, loosely packed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus more if desired
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Mexican queso fresco, queso añejo, salted pressed farmer’s cheese, firm goat cheese, mild feta or romano, finely crumbled or grated
- 3/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (see Tip)
- 3/4 cup sliced pickled jalapeños
- 1/2 cup crumbled crisp-fried bacon or 3/4 cup coarsely crumbled chicharrón (Mexican crisp-fried pork rind)
- 1 16-ounce bag large, sturdy tortilla chips
- To prepare guacamole: Place unpeeled garlic in a small dry skillet over medium heat; cook, turning occasionally, until soft and blackened in spots, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool, then slip off the skins; finely chop. Scoop avocado flesh into a large bowl. Add the garlic, cilantro and lime juice to taste. Coarsely mash everything together. Season with salt. Transfer to a serving bowl and place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the guacamole. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To set up the guacamole bar: Scoop garnishes into small serving bowls and put the chips in a large basket or bowl. Encourage guests to spoon a little guacamole on a chip and top with garnishes that appeal.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the guacamole (Step 1) up to 1 day.
- Kitchen Tip: To toast pumpkin seeds, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 310 calories; 21 g fat (4 g sat, 10 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 6 g fiber; 451 mg sodium; 505 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 4 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2010