Roasted Garlic Guacamole with Help-Yourself Garnishes
From EatingWell: March/April 2010
Rick Bayless’s new book is all about how to throw a great fiesta, or party, and a key part of any great fiesta is the food. “I like to welcome guests with this guacamole bar,” he says. “I start off with a basic guacamole made with roasted garlic and set out bowls of toppings so everyone can customize each bite.” (Recipe from "Fiesta at Rick’s" by Rick Bayless; W.W. Norton and Company, July 2010.)
- 6 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 6 ripe medium avocados
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, loosely packed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus more if desired
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Mexican queso fresco, queso añejo, salted pressed farmer’s cheese, firm goat cheese, mild feta or romano, finely crumbled or grated
- 3/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (see Tip)
- 3/4 cup sliced pickled jalapeños
- 1/2 cup crumbled crisp-fried bacon or 3/4 cup coarsely crumbled chicharrón (Mexican crisp-fried pork rind)
- 1 16-ounce bag large, sturdy tortilla chips
- To prepare guacamole: Place unpeeled garlic in a small dry skillet over medium heat; cook, turning occasionally, until soft and blackened in spots, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool, then slip off the skins; finely chop. Scoop avocado flesh into a large bowl. Add the garlic, cilantro and lime juice to taste. Coarsely mash everything together. Season with salt. Transfer to a serving bowl and place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the guacamole. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To set up the guacamole bar: Scoop garnishes into small serving bowls and put the chips in a large basket or bowl. Encourage guests to spoon a little guacamole on a chip and top with garnishes that appeal.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the guacamole (Step 1) up to 1 day.
- Kitchen Tip: To toast pumpkin seeds, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 310 calories; 21 g fat (4 g sat, 10 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 6 g fiber; 451 mg sodium; 505 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 4 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- March/April 2010