Roasted Garlic Guacamole with Help-Yourself Garnishes
From EatingWell: March/April 2010
Rick Bayless’s new book is all about how to throw a great fiesta, or party, and a key part of any great fiesta is the food. “I like to welcome guests with this guacamole bar,” he says. “I start off with a basic guacamole made with roasted garlic and set out bowls of toppings so everyone can customize each bite.” (Recipe from "Fiesta at Rick’s" by Rick Bayless; W.W. Norton and Company, July 2010.)
- 6 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 6 ripe medium avocados
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, loosely packed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus more if desired
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Mexican queso fresco, queso añejo, salted pressed farmer’s cheese, firm goat cheese, mild feta or romano, finely crumbled or grated
- 3/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (see Tip)
- 3/4 cup sliced pickled jalapeños
- 1/2 cup crumbled crisp-fried bacon or 3/4 cup coarsely crumbled chicharrón (Mexican crisp-fried pork rind)
- 1 16-ounce bag large, sturdy tortilla chips
- To prepare guacamole: Place unpeeled garlic in a small dry skillet over medium heat; cook, turning occasionally, until soft and blackened in spots, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool, then slip off the skins; finely chop. Scoop avocado flesh into a large bowl. Add the garlic, cilantro and lime juice to taste. Coarsely mash everything together. Season with salt. Transfer to a serving bowl and place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the guacamole. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To set up the guacamole bar: Scoop garnishes into small serving bowls and put the chips in a large basket or bowl. Encourage guests to spoon a little guacamole on a chip and top with garnishes that appeal.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the guacamole (Step 1) up to 1 day.
- Kitchen Tip: To toast pumpkin seeds, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 310 calories; 21 g fat (4 g sat, 10 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 6 g fiber; 451 mg sodium; 505 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 4 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2010