Grilled Whole Trout with Lemon-Tarragon Bean Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
This freshwater favorite is a snap on the grill. Grilling with the skin on keeps the fish from falling apart and gives the skin a delightful crispy texture. Grill some garlic-rubbed bread and enjoy a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh tarragon, plus 4 whole sprigs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 15-ounce can small white beans, rinsed
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 4 cleaned whole rainbow trout, (about 5 ounces each; see Shopping Tip)
- 12 thin slices of lemon, (1-2 lemons)
- Whisk chopped tarragon, lemon juice, oil, shallot, 1/4 teaspoon salt, sugar and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl until combined. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the dressing; add beans and peppers to the rest and toss to combine.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Coat a large fish-grilling basket with cooking spray. Stuff each trout with 3 slices lemon and 1 tarragon sprig. Sprinkle inside and out with the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Place in the basket.
- Grill the fish until the skin is golden and crispy, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Carefully remove the lemon and tarragon, drizzle the fish with the reserved dressing and serve with the bean salad.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: You can buy trout with the bones and heads removed (easier than cleaning them yourself); for this recipe, each cleaned trout should weigh about 5 ounces.
Per serving: 341 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 33 g protein; 5 g fiber; 654 mg sodium; 812 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (23% daily value), Calcium, Vitamin A & Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Father's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 2007
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)