Grilled Whole Trout with Lemon-Tarragon Bean Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
This freshwater favorite is a snap on the grill. Grilling with the skin on keeps the fish from falling apart and gives the skin a delightful crispy texture. Grill some garlic-rubbed bread and enjoy a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh tarragon, plus 4 whole sprigs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 15-ounce can small white beans, rinsed
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 4 cleaned whole rainbow trout, (about 5 ounces each; see Shopping Tip)
- 12 thin slices of lemon, (1-2 lemons)
- Whisk chopped tarragon, lemon juice, oil, shallot, 1/4 teaspoon salt, sugar and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl until combined. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the dressing; add beans and peppers to the rest and toss to combine.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Coat a large fish-grilling basket with cooking spray. Stuff each trout with 3 slices lemon and 1 tarragon sprig. Sprinkle inside and out with the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Place in the basket.
- Grill the fish until the skin is golden and crispy, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Carefully remove the lemon and tarragon, drizzle the fish with the reserved dressing and serve with the bean salad.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: You can buy trout with the bones and heads removed (easier than cleaning them yourself); for this recipe, each cleaned trout should weigh about 5 ounces.
Per serving: 341 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 33 g protein; 5 g fiber; 654 mg sodium; 812 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (23% daily value), Calcium, Vitamin A & Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Father's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2007