Grilled Whole Trout with Lemon-Tarragon Bean Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
This freshwater favorite is a snap on the grill. Grilling with the skin on keeps the fish from falling apart and gives the skin a delightful crispy texture. Grill some garlic-rubbed bread and enjoy a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh tarragon, plus 4 whole sprigs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 15-ounce can small white beans, rinsed
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 4 cleaned whole rainbow trout, (about 5 ounces each; see Shopping Tip)
- 12 thin slices of lemon, (1-2 lemons)
- Whisk chopped tarragon, lemon juice, oil, shallot, 1/4 teaspoon salt, sugar and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl until combined. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the dressing; add beans and peppers to the rest and toss to combine.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Coat a large fish-grilling basket with cooking spray. Stuff each trout with 3 slices lemon and 1 tarragon sprig. Sprinkle inside and out with the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Place in the basket.
- Grill the fish until the skin is golden and crispy, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Carefully remove the lemon and tarragon, drizzle the fish with the reserved dressing and serve with the bean salad.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: You can buy trout with the bones and heads removed (easier than cleaning them yourself); for this recipe, each cleaned trout should weigh about 5 ounces.
Per serving: 341 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 33 g protein; 5 g fiber; 654 mg sodium; 812 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (23% daily value), Calcium, Vitamin A & Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Father's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 2007