Grilled Vegetable & Feta Panini
Grilled or broiled eggplant has a meaty texture and taste that, when piled on a sandwich with some tangy feta cheese, will satisfy even the most die-hard carnivores.
- 1 small eggplant, (about 8 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 4-ounce jar roasted red peppers, (about 1/3 cup), rinsed and chopped
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 2 crusty whole-wheat rolls
- Preheat grill or broiler to high.
- Cut eggplant crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. If using a grill, oil the grill rack. Brush 1/2 teaspoon oil over both sides of the eggplant. Grill or broil until it is lightly browned and tender, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Let cool slightly. Coarsely chop the eggplant and combine with red peppers in a small bowl. Season with pepper.
- Mash feta with a fork in a small bowl. Add lemon juice, oregano, crushed red pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil; blend until smooth and spreadable. Season with pepper.
- Slice rolls in half horizontally and scoop out about 1 inch of the soft interior from each half. Divide and spread the seasoned feta in the bottom half of each roll. Spoon the chopped eggplant and peppers over the cheese and replace the top half of each roll.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The sandwiches will keep, well wrapped, in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 294 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 5 g fiber; 829 mg sodium; 181 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other