Grilled Vegetable & Feta Panini
Grilled or broiled eggplant has a meaty texture and taste that, when piled on a sandwich with some tangy feta cheese, will satisfy even the most die-hard carnivores.
- 1 small eggplant, (about 8 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 4-ounce jar roasted red peppers, (about 1/3 cup), rinsed and chopped
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 2 crusty whole-wheat rolls
- Preheat grill or broiler to high.
- Cut eggplant crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. If using a grill, oil the grill rack. Brush 1/2 teaspoon oil over both sides of the eggplant. Grill or broil until it is lightly browned and tender, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Let cool slightly. Coarsely chop the eggplant and combine with red peppers in a small bowl. Season with pepper.
- Mash feta with a fork in a small bowl. Add lemon juice, oregano, crushed red pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil; blend until smooth and spreadable. Season with pepper.
- Slice rolls in half horizontally and scoop out about 1 inch of the soft interior from each half. Divide and spread the seasoned feta in the bottom half of each roll. Spoon the chopped eggplant and peppers over the cheese and replace the top half of each roll.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The sandwiches will keep, well wrapped, in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 294 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 5 g fiber; 829 mg sodium; 181 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other